… implementations are hard. While I knew that implementing the semantic save would not be easy I did not think that simply converting the mockup to an actual dialog would be this annoying. It just does not look great. The two screenshots below show the small and the expanded version of the dialog and I am not thrilled.
Thus, I figured I would remove the description section altogether and only show the annotation listview once information has been added. That would allow me to only have one version of the dialog which is expanded only when required, ie. when there is information to show.
As for the description/comment: I figure one could simply use the same line edit as for the “add information”. That line edit uses auto-completion anyway and the probability of the text being a comment grows with the length of the text. Imagine a line edit turning into a multi-line text edit as soon as the user types more than fits into the one line.
Anyway, that is the state of it: I am trying to make it look less ugly. All the fancy automatic folder handling a lot of you discussed in the last post will be the topic for Semantic Save 3.0, once I managed to get this baby to work (we well as its counterpart the semantic open dialog).